Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Airborn post 1

For my outside reading book for quarter two I chose the book Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. When I first saw my sister buy and read this book by the next day I thought "Wow, what a loser," as usual. However it was getting further into quarter two and I still didn't even have ideas for a book and my sister recommended Airborn to me so, I reluctantly agreed. Unlike some of my sisters other books, this one started out strong and had an actually intellectual writing style. The story had all the elements I liked to have pulled me in. I eventually came to like it and am enjoying the story. The main storyline so far is that this guy, Mat Cruse, is fifteen and is working as a cabin boy on a luxury airship called the Aurora. One night he is on watch duty in the crow's nest late at night and spots a hot air balloon in distress in the middle of the ocean. He is later picked as the person who performs a daring rescue which entails him swinging over to the gondola, hooking the balloon up to the ships ropes and cutting the flight lines of the balloon that was damaged and was collapsing on an automatic timed burner. The man he saves is unconscious and is not doing well. When mat goes to check up on the man in the infirmary, the man wakes and says "Did you see them?" says some weird stuff and then the doctor comes in because the man starts freaking out. He soon dies and I haven’t read past that.

No comments: